Maria Helena Vieria Da Silva - The corridor

The second project was
about interpreting an artist's work.
I chose Maria Helena Vieria Da Silva's the corridor, a painting made in 1950.
I liked her brutal deconstruction of space into fragments and her purely
abstract visual language. Here is one of her quotes in order to understand her approach to work:

-"Perspective captivate
d me to succeed in encapsulating
a whole space on a small piece of canvas"-

This sequence shows the progress of my final collage. I deconstructed photographs of Da Silva's life and reassembled them to a new abstract composition, corres
ponding to one of her major quotes, which states:

-" I acquire my learning, my knowledge, by tying threads together,
piece by piece, constantly adding more until there is
a knot inside me."-



In order to approach and translate the significance of what she saw, she
simplified, unified and even warped and distorted structure. Throughout her work o
ne get the idea that in
direct means are more effective in capturing the essential character of the se
en and thus she created a kind of personal alphabet from the external aspects of
the world around her.
Objects became signs, and with the repetition of
those she created her own visual language.

No comments:

Post a Comment