The magazine Elephant has become my favourite design magazine recently. It's full of interesting artists, designers and critical thinking within visual culture. The newest edition features an article about Berlin, which is quite interesting.
I have only been twice to Berlin, first time in 2000 when Berlin became once again the capital of Germany. At this time Berlin was called the biggest construction site in Europe and I could actually feel this pioneering atmosphere. The second time I went to Berlin was for the final match of the Fifa Football World Cup in 2006. It was probably one of the most exciting experiences I had so far, and I experienced Berlin as a very open-minded, but already quite established and less changed city. Berlin's mayor said once: Berlin ist arm, aber sexy!/Berlin is poor, but sexy! The question is for how long.
I am going to visit Berlin this year for sure and I am quite excited whether I will agree with the artist of the interview or not. For me, Berlin is a city condemned always to become, never to be. It's should keep being schnodderig, billig without any SchnickSchnack.

No comments:

Post a Comment